AYUSH or more accurately the Ministry of Ayurveda, Yoga, Unani. Sidha, Homoeopathy, is a government ministry entrusted with the task of propagating the use of, education, research and development into the various indigenous alternative systems of medicine prevalent in India, and they have come up with a set of measures in the fight against the Covid-19 virus.
The basic idea underlying all their recommendations is to boost immunity, prevent infection and prevent the spread of infection with special focus on respiratory health. The AYUSH method consists of prevention, symptom management and additions to conventional medicinal systems. Some of their recommendations are as follows:
Measures to boost immunity:
- Drink warm water throughout the day.
- Practice yoga and meditation for at least 30 minutes daily.
- Try to include spices like turmeric, cinnamon, cumin and coriander in the daily cooking.
- Drink hot milk with half a teaspoon of turmeric once or twice a day.
- Herbal tea made out of tulsi, cinnamon, black pepper, dry ginger and raisins is highly recommended, as also is fresh lemon juice sweetened with jaggery.
- The ayurvedic health supplement chyawanprash with gooseberry as the main ingredient is also advised. Though diabetics are advised to use the sugar-free version.
Measures to take in case of dry cough or sore throat:
- Steam inhalation, at least once a day, with fresh mint leaves or ajwain (caraway seeds.)
- In case of cough or throat irritation, clove powder mixed with honey or natural sugar can be taken two or three times a day.
However, if the symptoms persist one is advised to consult with a doctor without fail.